Monday, October 7, 2013

Wow what a difference one year can make.....


February 2012                                                            September 2013


I started typing this on September 27th just two days after my one year anniversary of my gastric bypass surgery and subsequent complications.  I ended up having to have another surgery to fix two hernias and some other stuff caused by the previous surgeries, I hope that I am not making this annual tradition! So now I am home on medical leave and have plenty of time to finally put some time into my blog and get into the habit of making posts.  So anyway......

The pictures above you can see quite a difference in me.  On the left is me in the center, my daughter on the left and two of her marching band mates taken February of 2012 at Animal Kingdom in Disney World (my favorite place on earth).  I may look happy and I thought I was happy but I was killing myself!  Shortly after this trip I went to a consult for WLS and made a decision that changed my life like I could have never imagined was possible.  So September 25, 2012 I had gastric bypass surgery, quickly followed by two more emergency surgeries over the next three days, spent 12 days on a ventilator in the surgical/trauma ICU due to sepsis and respiratory failure, and then another two weeks in the hospital followed up by two months home bound, with visiting nurses and lots of therapy.  I fought my way through these terrible complications and just 5 months after coming oh so close to dying I made the annual trip with the Interboro High School Marching band to Disney World in February of 2013 - Had a great time on my final trip with the band as my daughter was a senior.
Just rode the Tower of Terror for the first time with my band mom buddies Cathryn and Norma

Katy and I with Mickey and Minnie  


So now here I am more than one  year after starting my weight loss journey, 4 surgeries behind me and 152 pounds lighter.  At 47 years old I am starting my life over and enjoying every minute.  As you can see in the picture on the left at the top of this post - I look heathier and happier (it helps that Josh is so stinkin' cute).  My husband and I traveled to Sharon Springs, New York for the Fall Festival hosted by the Fabulous Beekman Boys who I fell in love with when I was home sick last year and they competed on the Amazing Race (one of my favorite shows).  In the picture with me is Josh Kilmer Purcell.   Looking great, feeling great and loving life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment